In order to maintain your health, your doctor might recommend that you take a multivitamin. Biosolids act like a multivitamin for agricultural crops-and the result would make any nutritionist smile.
Biosolids, like the ones processed using Schwing Bioset’s advanced technology, can be applied as fertilizer to fields used for raising crops. According to the EPA, agricultural use of biosolids that meet strict quality criteria and application rates has been shown to produce significant improvements in crop growth and yield.
Why do biosolids make a difference for crops?
- Biosolids are chock full of essential nutrients. Nutrients found in biosolids, such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium and trace elements such as calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, sulfur and zinc, are all necessary elements for crop production and growth.
- Rejuvenation. The use of biosolids replenishes the organic matter that exists naturally in soil, but gets depleted over time with repetitive planting and harvesting cycles.
- Moisture management. The organic matter improves soil structure by increasing the soil’s ability to absorb and store moisture.
- Defense. The organic nitrogen and phosphorous found in biosolids are used very efficiently by crops because these plant nutrients are released slowly throughout the growing season. This enables the crop to absorb these nutrients as the crop grows. This efficiency lessens the likelihood of groundwater pollution of nitrogen and phosphorous.
- Environmental Friendliness. The application of biosolids reduces the need for chemical fertilizers.
- The Bottom Line. Biosolids benefit farmers by reducing production costs.
Happy farmers, happy crops, happy-and-healthy-consumers. To learn more about how the Schwing Bioset process makes these valuable biosolids possible, contact Schwing Bioset.